However, the majority of U.S. society does not agree with me; 69% of Americans support the Death Penalty. My question then becomes, if we are to put a person to death, should it at least be done humanely and with respect? Which then raises more questions, such as: "How is 'humane' defined?" and "How much respect does one, who did not show much respect, deserve?" And of course, the brutality of the crime, as well as the mental health and background of the accused, must be brought into consideration, right? And one might even argue that the killer's remorse or lack thereof might also play a factor. Personally, I say push all that shit aside. No matter the behavior of the person, past or present, treat them with respect. Shouldn't we as individuals, and as a society, show a higher level of integrity by respecting everyone? Isn't that one of our greatest challenges as human beings? Showing respect and remaining dignified, even when others fail to? And I'm sorry, but aren't morals defined by our actions, rather than our words?
So, are you wondering what brought about this rant of mine? Let me get down to it. At 2 a.m. this Friday, the 18th, Ronnie Lee Gardner will be executed by a firing squad in Utah. Yes, that's right, a firing squad! And no, it's not 1847, it's 2010!
It is important to note that in 2004, Utah passed a law banning executions by firing squad, but seeing as Gardner was found guilty before 2004, he was eligible for death by firing squad. (And FYI, he has been on Death Row for 25 years!) But wait, there is more to note: Gardner chose this style of execution! According to Politics Daily, Gardner said to the judge, "I would like the firing squad, please." (Don't believe me? Well, check wikipedia then!) When I first read about Gardner I was livid... Until I read that he chose this. I thought to myself, "What the hell is wrong with Utah?!" Then I thought, "Is this this man's way of trying to punish himself?" I know he chose this, and I know he took a life, but part of me feels pain for this man knowing that he must die this way. Part of me also hurts knowing that people are excited and happy that he will be put to death this way. I suggest you read the CNN article "Executioner: Death by Firing Squad is '100 percent justice'" for further reflection on this.
Although this whole story leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth, I am pleased that as of 2004, anyone found guilty of murder in Utah will not have the option of death by firing squad. However, I'm not so pleased that the electric chair is still an option in many states... But I'll not get into that now.
Follow Up:
"When the prison warden pulled back the beige curtain, Gardner was already strapped into a black, straight-backed metal chair. His head secured by a strap across his forehead. Harness-like straps constrained his chest. His handcuffed arms hung at his sides. A white cloth square — maybe 3 inches across — affixed to his chest over his heart bore a black target.
Seconds before the impact of the bullets, Gardner's left thumb twitched against his forefinger. When his chest was pierced, he clenched his fist. His arm pulled up slowly as if he were lifting something and then released. The motion repeated.
Although the dark blue prison jumpsuit made it difficult to see, blood seemed to be pooling around Gardner's waist.
The silence was deafening."
"Ronnie Lee Gardner, 49, was pronounced dead at 12:20 a.m. Mountain Time (0620 GMT) after being shot in the chest by a five-man firing squad at the Utah State Prison in Draper, a suburb of Salt Lake City, Steve Gehrke, a spokesman for the Utah Department of Corrections, told reporters."
-Reuters
Tell me, how do you feel about this?

When Ted Bundy was executed in the book I just read I was like "YEAH! FUCKEN ASSHOLE".
ReplyDeleteBut I'm against the death penalty...so I don't know.
As you know, I don't always have the concentration to read through long online articles/blogs, but this kept my interest. While I too am against the death penalty, I don't always believe in rehabilitation. I'm going to have to read that book so we can discuss...
ReplyDelete